Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mommy...is it good morning time?

We're going through a different phase now. Behaviours are changing, like sassing all the time and refusing to follow instructions. Tempers are flaring, at times for no apparent reason. All of a sudden everything is a big battle, such as getting dressed, putting on shoes, sitting on the potty-even when it's her idea! The endless questions have come. "Daddy, what's water? Mom, is your car flat? Will the tireman be here today? Does he drive a truck? What color is it? Where does he work Mom? Does he have a mom? Will he bring his own tools? Where are Daddy's tools? You get the idea. Food preferences have become an issue. I'm trying to explain (out of one eye) at 6:44 am why we can't have gummie bears for breakfast or why we can't have ice cream for dinner. What happened to my good eater who would eat all her fruits and veggies every day? She'll eat about half the variety of fruits that she used to and is down to only a couple of vegetables that she won't even eat consistently. On the other hand, her smile is getting broader and her eyes actually sparkle when she laughs. She is handing out more kisses lately, giving "choker" hugs, and has recently discovered eskimo kisses. She put on her first real pair of flip flops today- not the kind with the sling heel. Anyone who knows me knows that this is a big deal. My girl is trying so hard to grow up. Daddy and I are trying so hard to keep up. In a nut shell, we're tired! One of my friends recently admitted to accepting that motherhood is quite a humbling experience. (This I also came to accept a while back). We compared notes for a few minutes about our recent challenges. Her daughter is a couple of months younger than mine so they're at about the same place. I discovered that I wasn't the only one doing a lot of crying and praying in the evenings. I now understand that old joke about wishing kids came with operator's manuals. I also understand that the reason they don't is because they're all so different that a generic manual couldn't really help anyone. What's the answer? I'm still searching. I'm also slowly realizing that as my girl changes, I have to change too if I want to have a good relationship with her. Since I'm definitely not a morning person, here I am in bed before 10pm. The dinner dishes are still in the sink. The laundry is unfolded in the dryer. My toilet bowls need cleaned and I'm having company tomorrow. Maybe they'll understand. It doesn't matter though because I want to be ready for her when she crawls up the length of my bed, wraps her little arms around me, moves my hair so she can kiss my face and say "Mommy, is it good morning time"?

No comments: